--- Stephen Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> TWM - window manager

> I can't close the Xterm window otherwise the corresponding
> application will be closed simultaneously.

This is not specific to a window manager. But if I start an xterm and then
load an application such as firefox, you're right, the xterm will stay there
and if you close it, firefox will close as well. The terminal looks like
this:

chaotic ~$ firefox

Try this instead:

chaotic ~$ firefox &
[1] 16800
chaotic ~$ disown
chaotic ~$ exit

After disowning the process, you can exit the xterm without affecting the
child (16800).

As you mentioned, another way would be to launch the application without an
xterm. How exactly are you launching the application? An xterm is not
required to run X programs such as firefox.