On Wednesday 21 September 2005 01:10, Craig Colton wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 September 2005 01:07 am, Brandin Creech wrote:
> > But my question is about the non-opaque ("transparent") mode, in which
> > only an outline is shown. The problem I have is that in every WM I've
> > seen with this mode, the WM seems to freeze all other applications during
> > the move or re-size operation. When I let go of the mouse, the
> > applications resume. I'm a little annoyed at this behaviour; I would
> > probably prefer the transparent mode to the opaque, if it weren't for
> > this situation. I recall that older versions of Windows used to do this
> > as well (when using the transparent move/re-size on that operating
> > system), but newer versions will allow applications to continue running
> > even with transparent move/re-size enabled.
> >
> > I've only come across one vague explanation to this. Something about
> > there not being any efficient way to implement the transparent move or
> > the outline without pausing other applications. Does anyone here know of
> > a WM that can manage this feature without freezing other applications? Or
> > maybe there is a patch I can apply to some WM to prevent it from locking
> > the other applications?

I just confirmed that in my version of KDE, a movie continues playing while
"opaque" moving (contents shown in moving windows) is on, but the movie stops
playing when outline-only moving is on.

However, there is a way to get continuous playing with transparent windows in
KDE:  With real transparency.  If you have the latest Xorg server, and in
xorg.conf
Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Then you can go to KDE Settings->Desktop->Window Behavior->Translucency,
Check the checkbox for "Use translucency" and "Moving Windows" and set moving
windows to 20% or so.  That way, when you move the window, its contents
become a light overlay which you can see through, and the applications
beneath keep updating normally.
This is only a good idea if you have a 3d card.