I should point out that if you are doing weird things like putting
variables in your PS1, those variables won't be expanded unless you use
double quotes (which is what I've always done). The reason I mention
this is that 2 hours later it was pointed out to me that the time never
updates on the prompt. This can be gotten around by escaping the back
ticks used on the date command. Don't know if this is necessary with
single quotes (as any sane PS1 assignment will use).

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs