echo $TERM gives me xterm-color

Then I added PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;[EMAIL PROTECTED]: ${PWD}\007"' to /etc/profile.d/extra-prompt.sh and logged in again. The result is a normal prompt, both as root and as user maarten. But more notably: I am accessing my linux-box from a laptop running Windows XP Home, using PuTTY. And PuTTY's title changes to the desired prompt, including username I started with. When I switch directory, the directory in the title changes along. But the username doesn't change when I switch user.
Hope this helps you.

Kind regards,

Maarten Th. Mulders

---
avast! Antivirus: Uitgaande bericht is niet besmet.
Virus Gegevensbestand (VPS): 0542-0, 17-10-2005
Getest op: 19-10-2005 21:13:47
avast! auteursrecht (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.