--- Nupur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am getting an error while configuring
> libbonobo-2.8.1 for GNOME.
>
> The error is listed below:
>
> configure: error: expected an absolute directory
> name for --prefix:
> pkg-config --variable=prefix ORBit-2.0
>
> I have installed ORBit as well as pkg-config
> successfully.

What give you the command "pkg-config
--variable=prefix ORBit-2.0" when typed directly in
the shell? If the path is good, then perhaps you omit
the ` characters before and after the command. If it's
incorrect, then you can try to replace it with the
right path hardcoded in the command; something like
"--prefix=/opt/gnome" or elsewhere you installed
Gnome's packages.

> One thing also, I would mention here (as it might
> help), that even
> after installing pkg-config- if I type echo
> $PKG_CONFIG_PATH, it gives
> a blank line. I have to explicitly set
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

Put it in your /etc/profile or elsewhere read at
connexion.

> Regards,
> Nupur.

Hope it could help you.