Hi folks

Has anyone succeded in installing Gnome using package-users ?

I've just finished the installation of Gnome Core packages by
following the BLFS 6.1 and using the package users hint.
Once I arrived to the chapter of configuration (that is last section
of chapter 30) I gave the command update-desktop-database.
The system replied with a lot of messages. Unfortunately, I didn't
write down the exact message, and it won't reproduce, but they were
all equals and did sound like 'mimetype file not found'.
Then, launching gnome-session, all the icons in nautilus windows
(and in the desktop) are the same default sheet. :(

Now, if I try again with update-desktop-database nothing happens, no
messages are written and the icons are still the same ones.
I checked always the log of the installations to see if any file was
required as setuid root, and found none.

I think the problem could be born during the installation with the
permissions of the package users. But I used the following
method:
At each installation, I made all the newly created dirs
to be install dir. In order to do this, I created each package user as
member of the group "gnome-core", instead of creating a new group
with the same name of the user. So it was not too hard to find the
new dirs and make them install and sticky.

/usr/share/mime is actually not an install dir. It is so because I installed the
shared-mime-info package before starting to install Gnome.
Anyway, thinking about this, when I did update-desktop-database, I was root.
So the permissions shouldn't be of obstacle. Am I wrong here?

I searched through the list archives, but I found very little concerning this.

Any hint would be appreciated, especially regarding
MIME database, menu database, and scrollkeeper database.
Are these databases meant to be updated only by an installation,
and therefore only by privileged users?
Could you enilghten me on where are they located?
Are they simple directories or something else?

TIA
Luca