On 11/17/05, go moko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- Randy McMurchy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Nupur wrote these words on 11/17/05 09:15 CST:
> >
> > > Then, I ran the checked PKG_CONFIG_PATH by echo
> > $PKG_CONFIG_PATH and
> > > it returned:
> > > /usr/lib/pkgconfig/
> >
> > And that is why your initial installation to /opt
> > didn't work. You
> > failed to add the additional path into your
> > environment so that the
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable was updated to include the
> > path for GNOME
> > in /opt (or you failed to source the file that you
> > modified to
> > include the new PKG_CONFIG_PATH var).
> >
> > You'll notice at
> >
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/gnome/core.html#gnome-pre-install-config
> > that it is mentioned to do this.
>
> I don't remember Nupur mentionned /opt.
> Gnome-pre-install-config suggest to install in /usr or
> in /opt/gnome, and I guess Nupur choose the first
> solution.
>
> Nupur, can you try with this syntax (perhaps ` don't
> work fine in your system, but I don't know why - do
> you have a special keyboard? Do you use bash as
> shell?):
> ./configure --prefix=$(pkg-config --variable=prefix
> ORBit-2.0)
> --libexecdir=$(pkg-config --variable=prefix
> ORBit-2.0)/sbin
> --sysconfdir=/etc/gnome
>
> and also, can you try this:
> GNOME_PATH=`pkg-config --variable=prefix ORBit-2.0`
> echo $GNOME_PATH
>
> and tell us the result.
>
> Thx
> G. Moko

I apologize for replying so late. G. Moko, after trying with the first
command you asked me to; i.e.,
./configure --prefix=$(pkg-config --variable=prefix
ORBit-2.0)
--libexecdir=$(pkg-config --variable=prefix
ORBit-2.0)/sbin
--sysconfdir=/etc/gnome

The configuration went well. Though after using the second command
that you mentioned, i.e.,

GNOME_PATH=`pkg-config --variable=prefix ORBit-2.0` echo $GNOME_PATH

I got the following as the result
pkg-config --variable=prefix ORBit-2.0

Also, I do use bash as my shell. And I never installed anything in
/opt, /usr was always my first option for installation.

Nupur