I've been trying to configure my openssh server for the past hour or so.  I'm running LFS 6.1.  I have installed iptables, but made sure to open port 22 for ssh.

I get:

$ ssh 127.0.0.1
Connection closed by 127.0.0.1

The same happens when I try to login from a remote server, so it's certainly not a local IP configureation issue.

/etc/hosts.allow is:
sshd:ALL

/etc/hosts.deny is:
ALL:ALL

I'm somewhat perplexed about the configuration issues that might be going on...  The only helpful hints I've seen online have been to add the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files.  Any ideas?

-Erik Garrison