Has anyone noticed this: in Bash, the command

  cd //usr//bin

causes PWD to become "//usr/bin" instead of "/usr/bin". Bash's normal
behavior is to replace all repeated /'s with a single slash. Right now I'm
using Bash 3.00.16, but I've also tried older versions and noticed the same
behavior. This happens for any "cd" command that contains an initial double
slash, but it works fine for ///. For instance

  cd ///usr//bin

sets the PWD as "/usr/bin".

This problem only appears to be cosmetic; I haven't had any program complain
when $PWD contains //. But does anyone know how to fix this. Or maybe it's
not even a Bash thing, but is somehow related to the kernel or glibc? I'm not
sure.