Building {,B}LFS again has sent me down significantly different paths than the first time I built it. This morning, getting ready to build JDK and looking forward to OO.2.0--both for my laptop--the phrase "Required to build" jumped out from "the book." Of course, I'm trying to build the smallest system I can on the laptop. The question is this, if something is required to build; for example, cpio for JDK, is it also required at runtime? I'm considering removing these after I build what I want to save hard drive space. I'll have the source so that if another package needs it I'll be able to re-install.

Of course, I would be doing this in addition to the things suggested in the hint on smaller systems. I'm just looking for, "Sounds like it will work," or "Don't do it numbskull!"

Thanks,

Dan