Dan Nicholson wrote:
You could have said that before!

#1 rule of compiling: If something breaks, turn off the optimization
flags!

Apologies for not mentioning that (when I wrote the reply, I realized I should have tested that before). However, turning off optimization flags did not solve the problem. I did some more search on the subject and found there has been some debate about firefox 1.5 turning to the GTK filepicker, apparently for Gnome-unification reasons. You can change back to the built-in filepicker, which is liked better to some (including me). This workaround works nicely.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1783468&sid=25b198251a20b570b199705272dbc3a0#1783468

Leo.