On 5/19/06, Archaic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've never had a desire to build this, but I'm messing around with the
beta xfce and it has it as an optional dep. The stable xfce does, too,
but I've never used it. From what I can tell, it simply allows xfce to
use svg icons instead of png icons. The images are the same from what I
can tell, though. So my question is, why? Is svg *that* much better or
*that* much faster?

That much better, supposedly.  It's undoubtedly slower.  It's
scalable, unlike typical images that would become pixelated after a
certain point.  My guess is that they're using it for thumbnails, icon
generation and desktop background rendering.  Backgrounds that are
created from svgs is where you'd really see it.  Then you can stretch
it to any resolution with no degradation.  Nautilus does this on
gnome, and it's pretty neat.  Also, if xfce uses an image
viewer...obviously you can look at svg images.

Mind you, I'm only thinking svg in relation to xfce. If there's some
other "gotta have" package that requires it or is made tons better by
having it, I'd like to hear about that, too.

SVG is still pretty new, but it could become the defacto image
standard on *nix once the renderers get up to speed and it's use
becomes a little more widespread.

But no, you will not be missing out any any major functionality that I
can think of.  It's cool eye candy and not much else.

If you want to read more: http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/
Mozilla also has some cool demos and info: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/

--
Dan