On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 17:59 -0600, Archaic wrote:
> I've never had a desire to build this, but I'm messing around with the
> beta xfce and it has it as an optional dep. The stable xfce does, too,
> but I've never used it. From what I can tell, it simply allows xfce to
> use svg icons instead of png icons. The images are the same from what I
> can tell, though. So my question is, why? Is svg *that* much better or
> *that* much faster?

It's different only because it's a vector-graphics format, rather than
bitmap. It's not faster, but because it's scalable, it's preferable for
dealing with high-resolution displays - a given icon can be displayed as
1cm by 1cm, regardless of whether the screen is 90dpi or 120dpi. Or if
preferred, it can be increased in size without looking like a scaled-up
bitmap does.

Not just icons, of course - Gnome has moved to SVG graphics for most
games, so that a minesweeper window, for example, can be scaled up a bit
to suit people with poor vision or mouse skills who find it hard to
click the right squares.

Simon.