Hi

I'm having difficulties with getting gnome-speech to accept my installation of
freetts.

I followed the instruction for access-bridge support with gnome-speech and the
configure didn't see the freetts.  So I specified it:

./configure --with-jab-dir=`pkg-config --variable=prefix ORBit-2.0`/share/jar
--with-freetts-dir=/opt/freetts/lib/

I tried it with the ending slash and without the slash but it just won't build
with freetts support.  Gnome-speech will build without freetts support without
any problem.  I tried capturing the error with "make >error_log.txt" but that
didn't capture the errors.  Here's what I could copy from the screen:

org/GNOME/Speech/FreeTTSSynthesisDriver.java:219: cannot find symbol
symbol  : method tie()
location: class org.GNOME.Speech.FreeTTSSpeaker
                        speaker = SpeakerHelper.narrow ((new FreeTTSSpeaker
(this, voices[i])).tie());
                                                        ^
org/GNOME/Speech/FreeTTSSynthesisDriver.java:230: cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable AccessUtil
location: class org.GNOME.Speech.FreeTTSSynthesisDriver
                        AccessUtil.getORB().run();
                        ^
org/GNOME/Speech/FreeTTSSynthesisDriver.java:303: cannot access
org.GNOME.Bonobo.Unknown
file org/GNOME/Bonobo/Unknown.class not found

current.s.getCallback()._notify
(speech_callback_type.speech_callback_speech_started,
                                                                             ^
30 errors
make[5]: *** [org/GNOME/Speech/*.class] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnome-speech-0.3.7/drivers/freetts/java'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnome-speech-0.3.7/drivers/freetts/java'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnome-speech-0.3.7/drivers/freetts'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnome-speech-0.3.7/drivers'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnome-speech-0.3.7'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I can build without freetts support but I've built freetts for gnome so it'd be
a shame.  Although, on this machine, when I run the test of freetts, I found it
very sluggish.  It took about 4 seconds to hear the text.

Is freetts that slow and sluggish normally?

Gena
--
2E0AXU

Freedom & Power provided by debian GNU Linux