On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 12:58:14PM -0700, Steve Quezadas wrote:
> Well, the Encrypted Root Filesystem HOWTO (
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Encrypted-Root-Filesystem-HOWTO/ ) said that
> this was based off the Linux From Scratch project so I thought that this
> was the appropriate maillist for my question. Is there a better maillist
> to post teh question?
>
> I looked everywhere on google and could not find the answer to my question.
>
> - Steve

 Hmm, encrypted root filesystems.  Your guess is as good as mine
about who can best help you.  The thing about HOWTOs is that they
stand on their own.  I can't see the hint in lfs hints (perhaps I'm
looking for the wrong name), but 2.6.10 is pretty old now.

 The thing about initrds is that they are usually distro-specific
(they all have their own way of creating them).   The HOWTO that you
are pointing to seems, if I'm reading it correctly, to be creating
devices for console, the encrypted partition, and loop0, and then
using pivot_root - on the face of it, not very much to go wrong if
you use the exact same versions as the writer.

 If you are using a newer kernel, I guess that changes to pivot_root
may have caused the breakage.  If you are using 2.6.10, personally I
question whether that is a sensible kernel to use (so old, probably
so many bugs).  But those are just my thoughts, someone else here
might be familiar with encrypted filesystems.

 Failing that, perhaps the loop-aes people might be familiar with
this, I don't know (oh, and good luck trying to post to sourceforge
lists if it comes to that, they seem to be somewhat broken at the
moment).

Good luck.

Ken