Matthias B. wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:23:03 -0600 Jason Aeschilman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
ash history is not saved on shutdown. I have commented out the line "unset HISTFILE" from /etc/profile so now history is saved for root, but

it only works when I log out of a terminal. If I reboot or shutdown, the history does not get saved to ~/.bash_history. Does anyone know how

this can be fixed? Shouldn't this be standard on the LFS system? Even if you keep "unset HISTFILE" for root, regular users should not lose their bash history on shutdown.
Are you sure that you are losing history rather than getting the history
for some interactive shell that you had open but didn't use?
AFAIK, by default, bash overwrites the history file on exit, i.e. the last
shell that terminates gets to write the history. When you shut down,
shells terminate in no well-defined order so that with
history-overwriting, the shell that wins the race to write history may
just be the wrong one.

Try putting

shopt -s histappend

into your /etc/profile and see if that fixes your problem. This will cause
bash to append to the history file rather than overwrite it, thereby
causing your history to store history from all shells, not just the one
terminated last.

MSB
I have exactly one console session up. So it's not a case where one console is overwriting another. I suppose sending the SIGHUP signal to all bash processes on shutdown may be the best solution.