Matthew Burgess wrote:
> So, another case of NIH syndrome.  Rather than report bugs/offer patches
> to existing projects (tar vs. star, make vs. smake, etc.) he goes and
> reinvents the wheel.  Oh well, I guess it's his time to waste :-)

I don't like Jörg Schilling very much, but you are being pretty
unfair.  S tar was written long before GNU tar and it already had all
the features GNU tar only recently got (like POSIX compliance,
automatic detection of compressed archives) in 1993 or so and GNU tar
was basically unmaintained for years.  Smake also is older than GNU
Make, and again, was unmaintained for years.  Sfind supported the
'-exec bla +' idiom from POSIX *years* before GNU findutils.  So, yes
there *is* a case of NIH syndrome and reinventing the wheel, but the
other way round.

However, please note that reinventing the wheel is not necessarily a
bad thing thing if the owner of said wheel is a sociopath ...

jwm