On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 01:10:44PM -0400, Martin McCourt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have this problem where all my fonts look really small and actually
> are pretty hard to look at.  See this:
> http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=badaavg8.jpg

 Possibly a red herring (and nothing to do with aliasing), but on
exactly one of my machines it somehow thinks that 75dpi is a
sensible size for a 20" 1600x1200 display (all the others find,
and use, 100dpi).  For my own desktop, adding the following to
~/.Xresources fixes e.g. the toolbar in icewm, and font size in
urxvt.

Xft.dpi: 100

 Note that doesn't cover all the cases - I use gdm, so that still
presents the login dialog with a tiny font, but I can live with that
as long as there is only me using it.

ĸen