On 9/15/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Martin McCourt wrote:
> > The font in the Xterm seems to look just fine (am I wrong?), but the
> > fonts in the browser are just heart-breaking.

Wow, those fonts look bad :)

> You are comparing apples and oranges. xterm in your configuration seems
> to be using a bitmap font via X core font protocol. This is a valid
> configuration, although the book configures it to use a TrueType font
> via XFT with antialiasing. Konqueror prefers XFT, but seems to fall back
> to non-antialiased fonts.

Right. The problem seems a lot more confined to Xft, and it seems like
only Freetype itself could cause so many problems. Have you tried
rebuilding freetype?

Another thought is that perhaps Fontconfig isn't doing the right thing
like Alexander says. You could try installing the BitstreamVera fonts.
>From your screenshot, I can tell that you're using the DejaVu fonts,
but maybe fontconfig is telling freetype to do something bad with
them.

--
Dan