Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Justin The Cynical wrote:
>> I have an older system running LFS 6.1 (currently using kernel 2.6.16.32
>> P4), and I am finding the on-board SiS900 network chip to be lacking.
>>
>> I have sitting around in my parts collection an HP J3171-60011 PCI LAN
>> 10/100TX card (Intel 82557 based) and a 3Com 3C905-TX.
>>
>> I've looked around, and I can't seem to find any performance information
>> on these two cards.  Both are well supported, but which one would be the
>> better choice to use?
>
> Tests at the Urals State University show that on "Pentium MMX 166 MHz
> with 128 MB of RAM" machines, "3COM 3C905B" and "Intel Pro 100" cards
> behave approximately identically, and are both slower than a cheap
> Realtek 8139 card.

Really...  I wonder where they got their test cards from.  Last time I
used realtek cards was at a startup ISP (this was more than a few years
ago) and they would die shortly after being put into production vs the
intel cards kept chugging along.

My tests with iperf showed the intel card getting about 10 mbit more
over the other two cards, so that's what is in the box now.