Hi Dan

Thanks for all your help, however, I'm not entirely convinced by your
diagnosis.  The gnutls package contains its own version of opencdk and this was
the version that I used initially.  I installed opencdk-0.6.4 only after
*make* failed on the initial build using the included version of
opencdk.  As you know the second build failed as well.

I'm going to stick with gnutls-2.1.1, but I'd be interested to find out
why the other version failed.  I'm sure that you would too as the
unstable book will eventually become the stable book.

Thanks again for your help.

Richard