On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 10:08 +0100, Jeremy Henty wrote:
> BLFS has  two sources  of extra information  outside the  book itself:
> Hints  and the  Wiki.  What's  the difference  between the  two?  Have
> hints been obsoleted  by the Wiki?  If not, when  is it appropriate to
> create a Hint instead of a Wiki page?

I don't know about officially, but from what I've seen, the Wiki is
mostly supplemental information for packages that are in the book -
alternative configurations, optional dependencies, etc. Whereas the
hints are mostly for things that just aren't covered by the books at all
- often obscure stuff like random number generation, LVM, bootable CDs,
etc.

I do think though, that the Wiki somewhat obsoletes the hints, as
evidenced by the fact that there have been no new or updated hints in
over a year. Similarly, the various *LFS books have taken on some of
what used to be hints - ALFS, CLFS, HLFS in particular.

Simon.