On Friday 04 September 2009 14:07, Jim McConville wrote:
> Ref:  BLFS svn-20090901 autofs-5.0.3
>
> When I try to compile autofs-5..0.3 I am getting  the following:
>
> In file included from cache.c:28:
> ../include/automount.h:54:2: error: #error Failed to verify existence of
> procfs filesystem!
> make[1]: *** [cache.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/autofs-5.0.3/lib'
> make: *** [daemon] Error 2
>
> This endeavor is being done in a LFS-6.5 system.
> The /etc/mtab is:
> /dev/sda2 / ext3 rw 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
>
> This  is commensurate with /etc/fstab:
> /dev/sda2       /               ext3    defaults          0    0
> /dev/sda6       /sources        ext3   defaults           0    0
> /dev/sda5      swap             swap    pri=1             0    0
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0    0
> sysfs          /sys             sysfs  defaults           0    0
> devpts         /dev/pts         devpts gid=4,mode=620     0    0
> tmpfs          /dev/shm         tmpfs  defaults           0    0
>
> I can't determine if this message is supposed to be:
> proc fs   or procfs . When copied it appears as displayed above.
>
> In any case I have tried compiling autofs-6.03 from scratch several times
> and I always get the same result. Any suggestions as to the source of
> problem or a solution would be appreciated.
>
> Jim McConville

I have resolved the problem.

It appears that it is in the file  "/autofs-5.03/aclocal.m4"  where the
existance of "proc fs" is determined. Actually the process is to determine
the existance of the file "/proc/filesystem".  Because the compilation of
autofs-5.0.3 was done in the "LFS-6.5 chroot" environment the '/proc'
directory was not populated.  To complete the compilation the computer was
rebooted into LFS-6.5 and the "configuration" and "install" related commands
were executed successfully from within /autofs-5.0.3.

Comments
1.I have not examined  BLFS svn-20090901 to determine if there are
restrictions in compiling software in the "chroot" environment.
2. Perhaps autofs-5.0.3 needs a patch to alleviate this problem. It presently
has 67 patches.

Jim McConville