On Sunday 06 September 2009 09:45, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 06:43:28 -0600, Jim McConville <j...@xmission.com> wrote:
> > Because the compilation of
> > autofs-5.0.3 was done in the "LFS-6.5 chroot" environment the '/proc'
> > directory was not populated.  To complete the compilation the computer
> > was rebooted into LFS-6.5 and the "configuration" and "install" related
> > commands were executed successfully from within /autofs-5.0.3.
>
> If you're within the chroot environment, /proc should already mounted.  See
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/kernfs.html
> for the commands you'll need to run each time you set the chroot env up.
>
> Running those, I can confirm that the /proc/filesystems file exists,
> alongside many others.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt

If the computer is rebooted into the host system the bindings between the
files which are put into effect in chapter06 no longer exist. If one then
enters in the "chroot" environment the /proc directory will not be populated.
I never found this to be a problem until I tried compiling autofs-5.0.3 . It
was unusual to draw upon a file in the  "virtual-fernel-file-systems".
I reported  the incident and  one solution simply to document the situation.

There still remains the question: "Should it be noted in  the BLFS document
that these bindings will not exist  if the computer is rebooted into the host
system followed by an entry made into the "chroot" environment?"

I don't wish to belabor this experience. I believe there has been enough
exposure.

Thank you for your response,
        Jim McConville