From: blfs-support-boun...@linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:blfs-support-boun...@linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Jason
Ash
Sent: 26 November 2009 09:29 AM
To: blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: KDE blank screen

William Immendorf

krendosha...@dementedfury.org
>I fail to see your reasoning. He has clearly built BLFS 6.3 on top of
LFS 6.3
> and therefore there should be few problems. This is not a case of a
user
> building 6.3 on top of 6.5 and running into problems - in which case
the
> recommendation would be to use the development BLFS. If he wishes to
> try LFS 6.5 with the latest development BLFS, then that's his
prerogative,
>[...]It simply does no good to throw out blind advice and hope it
> fixes the problem.

Yes, I used the live cd to build my LFS which uses LFS 6.3, and I'm
following BLFS 6.3. I could try to build KDE according to the
development BLFS 6.5. I could also try to search the Internet for terms
in the error log that I sent (sorry that I didn't do this first; I
didn't have time). Alternatively, I could try installing another desktop
environment such as Gnome. I have been using GNU/Linux for about 2 years
now (one year with Open Suse 10.3/11.0 and one year with Ubuntu
8.04-9.10), but I'm fairly new to the command line and this is my first
time successfully building LFS (I once tried LFS 6.5, but it had a
kernel panic). I'm not a programmer or a Linux guru (however, I'm
comfortable with ./configure, make, and make install), so I was
wondering if anyone had any ideas about what might have went wrong based
on the error log that I sent earlier. If you need me to send more
information, just ask. Any advice is welcome, but especially easy to
understand advice since I'm still learning.

Thanks,
Jason Ash