On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 01:06:29 +0000, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoo...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> 2010/1/11 Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>  Xorg -configure
>>
>> will tell you what kind of video card X finds.  Look at ~/xorg.conf.new

Actually, I believe that upstream are moving toward a config-less X.  I find
this
much easier but the book currently doesn't support it out of the box due to some
incompatible configure switches used between the server, fonts and driver bits.

I'll post my suggestions to -dev when I'm back from work tonight.  But, using
this
I can successfully start an X server within a VirtualBox environment and it
correctly
picks up my monitor, video chip, keyboard and mouse without the need for an
Xorg.conf!

Regards,

Matt.