On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:27:18 -0600, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>> Actually, I believe that upstream are moving toward a config-less X.  I
> find this
>> much easier but the book currently doesn't support it out of the box due
> to some
>> incompatible configure switches used between the server, fonts and
> driver bits.
>>
>> I'll post my suggestions to -dev when I'm back from work tonight.  But,
> using this
>> I can successfully start an X server within a VirtualBox environment and
> it correctly
>> picks up my monitor, video chip, keyboard and mouse without the need for
> an Xorg.conf!
>
> I haven't looked at it, but it still allows a config file, right?  If I
> choose to use a proprietary driver that is not in xorg by default, I
> still should be able to use it.

Yes, that's my understanding.  Without a config file, it will try to figure
out what the settings should be, but if a config file is present it will use
that.  Whether or not you can mix and match, i.e. put just the video driver
bits in and have it automatically set up things like your input devices I'm
not sure.

Regards,

Matt.