Always, in the past, I would unpack bitstream-vera fonts
URL="http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera\
/1.10/ttf-bitstream-vera-1.10.tar.bz2"
into the TTF directory and make a link X11-TTF in /usr/share/fonts
pointing to the TTF directory as mentioned in the book.
The resulting fonts would always be high quality and trouble free.

While it sounds like a great idea, Xorg-7.5 changes the default font
installation dir to /usr/share/fonts/X11 which confuses things
including xorg-server-1.7.1 and firefox (1.5 and 3).
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg7ck9hb_153f42jwcwr

To compensate for the change, I created directory /usr/lib/X11/fonts
and created a link X11 pointing to where the TTF directory ended up
which was /usr/share/fonts/X11/TTF.
I also had to specify in /etc/X11/xorg, e.g.,
FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/xxx/"
because xorg-server didn't find its expected /usr/lib/X11/fonts/xxx.

The confusion originates with new font-util which creates
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/fontutil.pc having the fontrootdir equate
by default to /usr/share/fonts/X11 and all the font packages determine
the font installation dir from that.

However, xorg-server-1.7.1 is unenlightened
# xorg-server configure
#   --with-fontdir=FONTDIR  Path to top level dir where fonts are installed
#                          (default: ${libdir}/X11/fonts)

Firefox also seems unenlighted in the above screenshot.
Oddly, firefox looked ok on some pages, but not on other pages such
as the (b)lfs books.

Boldly removing my created /usr/lib/X11/fonts dir and executing
mv /usr/share/fonts/X11 /usr/lib/X11/fonts
and
ln -s /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF /usr/share/fonts/X11-TTF
permitted firefox to seem better
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg7ck9hb_151gfphzndg

This hack may not be perfect and as yet I do not know if configuring
xorg-server with --with-fontdir=/usr/share/fonts/X11
would do the job. Obviously, a full xorg do-over would be a big job.

If I do the do-over, I am inclined to configure
font-util with -with-fontrootdir=/usr/lib/X11/fonts
to get the traditional behavior that has always worked in the past.

Fonts have me clearly confused.