On 3/14/10, David Jensen <djensen...@windstrean.net> wrote:
> IMHO its easier to recompile x-server adding
>   --with-fontdir=$XORG_PREFIX/share/fonts/X11
> fixes the incorrect dir and removes the log errrors

/usr/share/fonts/X11 is a location known to Fontconfig.

The book has written
> 23. X Window System Environment
>   X Window System Components
> Xft Font Protocol
> The X fonts were not installed in a location known to Fontconfig.
> This prevents Fontconfig from using the poorly rendered Type 1 fonts
> or the non-scalable bitmapped fonts. Symlinks were created from the OTF
> and TTF X font directories to /usr/share/fonts/X11-{OTF,TTF}.

Installing non-TTF fonts in a location known to Fontconfig gave me
sub-optimal font rendering in some parts of some programs.
In particular, I noticed that some pages in forefox were not anti-aliases
and some form boxes in firefox were not anti-aliased. Specific pages
affected were the (b)lfs books.

I noticed this because the default --with-fontrootdir=DIR in font-util
does not match the default --with-fontdir=FONTDIR in xorg-server,
and they are different than before.

fc-list can reveal unexpected fonts.

Setup this way worked best for me:
m...@lfs:/usr/share/fonts$ ls -l X11-TTF
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Mar 15 12:20 X11-TTF -> /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF