James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know a couple of folks here have built KDE recently.  I think I
>> already know the answer to this, but I think I have to grab kdesupport
>> out of SVN in order to build KDELibs, right?  My conclusion was arrived
>> at because kdelibs wants 'automoc4' from kdesupport but there is no
>> kdesupport tarball available from KDE's download site.
>>
>> If that's the case, how do I stop things like oxygen-icons being built
>> that already have their own tarballs available?  Preferably I don't even
>> want to check out the oxygen-icons area of svn but I'm not sure that's
>> possible...an 'svn update' on such a checkout would pull oxygen-icons
>> next time around anyway, I would have thought.
>>
>> <rant>Why can't developers release a bloody tarball of their stuff?</rant>
>>
> Good question to which I have no answer except to say that they seem to
> expect that you will get the dependencies from your distro.

I don't see that as a very valid argument at all.  How many distros are
out there?  And all of them now need to duplicate this dependency
hunting and preparation game?  I'm firmly in the mindset that part of
being a good upstream software project is to make it easy for downstream
users to make use of and integrate your software.  And why is it up to
people like you, James, to document this?  Surely if the KDE deps are so
complex to locate (relatively speaking), then the least the KDE devs
could do is write down what the dependencies are, why they are required,
and which locations/branches/tags are compatible with KDE-<ver>?

Like I've already said though, this is probably the worst place to be
raising concerns over this, and I've already decided to move to LXDE
anyway so in an entirely selfish manner, I don't care about KDE's
dependency hell anymore.

Regards,

Matt.