On 29/03/2010 23:10, David Jensen wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:58:09 +0100
> Matthew Burgess<matt...@linuxfromscratch.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm running Xorg in a config-less setup.  Everything seems to be
>> working fine, apart from it's using the 'us' keyboard layout as its
>> default. I'd prefer to remain config-less, if at all possible as, so
>> far, this would be the only option that I'd need to cusomise.
>>
>> `setxkbmap -rules base -model pc105 -layout gb -option""` appears to
>> do what I want.  Now I just need to get this triggered each time I
>> start my X11 session.  I'm using lxdm&  openbox, in case this
>> matters.  Any advice greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt.
> Well, surely you tried this, but, can't that be added to ~/xinitrc?
> Excuse me if this is useless.

Not useless at all.  I gave it a try (using ~/.xinitrc), but it didn't
appear to have any effect (not in the lxterminal at least).  I wonder
whether lxde/lxdm is doing something quirky resulting in it not running
through the normal xinit stuff?

Maybe Xorg would auto-detect my desired layout if I was using HAL? I'm
trying to avoid that as it's looking like it's being phased out.

Can anyone else confirm if their keyboard layout is automatically
detected with no Xorg config file please, or whether you know if such a
feature is/isn't present upstream?

Ta,

Matt.