On 04/10/10 05:13, Baho Utot wrote:
> I have completed installing KDE-3.5.10
>
> Anyone have some suggestions on installing or configuring fonts?
>
> Thunderbird and Firefox are terrible

This is possible.  The way this works is that Firefox and Thunderbird
use the generic names as defaults (Sans, Serif, etc) and FontConfig
determines which actual font to use based on the contents of the
configuration files in:

        /etc/fonts
        /etc/fonts/conf.d

Also, by default it only looks for fonts in the sub-directories of:

        /usr/share/fonts
        ~/.fonts

So, you need to either make links to your Xorg font sub-directories or
add: "/etc/fonts/local.conf" with any other font locations that you want
to use.  E.G.

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file to configure system font access -->
<fontconfig>

<!-- Font directory list -->

        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>

</fontconfig>

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

Also note that you need to link one of these:

        /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf
        /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-yes-bitmaps.conf

to:

        /etc/fonts/conf.d/

depending on whether or not you want FontConfig to use bitmapped fonts.

That said, whether the default fonts look good depends on what you have
installed with the worst case being re-sized bitmap fonts.

So, you want to install the Xorg Type1 and TrueType (ttf) packages.  You
also should consider installing other available fonts:

http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/AFPL/GhostPCL/urwfonts-1.41.tar.bz2

And,or configure FontConfig to use the GhostScript fonts

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch