I've read through the BLFS sections related to video, but am still
uncertain how to proceed toward the goal of playing MP4 (so called)
format files. It looks like MPLAYER may be the way to go. I have
an older XINE which I installed some time back, but it doesn't seem
to be able to handle those.

Anyone have recommendations or suggestions for an MP4 player?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.