On 04/19/10 18:50, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I've read through the BLFS sections related to video, but am still
> uncertain how to proceed toward the goal of playing MP4 (so called)
> format files. It looks like MPLAYER may be the way to go. I have
> an older XINE which I installed some time back, but it doesn't seem
> to be able to handle those.
>
> Anyone have recommendations or suggestions for an MP4 player?

First, MP4 is called a container file format.  In order to be able to
play an MP4 file, you need to have the codecs for the audio and video
which it contains.

Personally, I prefer Xine and Kaffine, but the issue will be the same no
matter what you use.  You need to install not only Xine but a bunch of
codec libraries as well as the Windows DLL files to be able to play all
AV formats.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch