Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi Bruce, Michael,
>
> I found version.h, the definition was commented out. I deleted the comment
> "#",

In C the octothorpe character '#' does NOT indicate a comment. You need
to reinsert that character.

> but the result is the same.  Error 1 at the same statement.

That indicates that either

        that file is not being #included
        some #define is missing or incorrect leading to that code being
                deleted by the preprocessor
        some -D command line argument is missing or incorrect & ditto

> Definitivly, this seems to be a big bug in the kernel code ? I _never_ before

Umm, since you seem to be unfamiliar with the language the kernel is
written in, it seems presumptuous to me for you to condemn the code.

> had to make the simplest change to the kernel-code. It is supposed to be the
> "holly gral" of linux, only to be touched by Linus himselv ? Where are we
> arriving ?  ;-)
>
> Serious: help very appreciated ! If I cannot more build the kernel, I am at
> the very end of my installation!

Help is forthcoming, but more information is needed.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.