On Monday 06 September 2010 23:42:19 James Richard Tyrer wrote:

thanks for your input.
> > a little advice would be appreciated
>
> There have been reports of KDE-4.x.y no being compatible with PulseAudio
> dispute that fact that it is supposed to be able to use it as the sound
> server.
>
> IAC, if PulseAudio is being used, it must be running.  Open System
> Monitor and look for it.
>
> Then open system settings and go to the section for sound configuration
> and look at the window showing "Output Device Preference".  Select
> Music.

Here I only have a device called dummy.  I think it is ConsoleKit
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit)
 up to jiggery-pokery.   I get this  at the tail of /var/log/kdm.log

######################
arguments to ck_connector_get_cookie() were incorrect, assertion "connector !=
NULL" failed in file ck-connector.c line 583.
########################

I had moved the build to a new location  the old one had kde-4.4.2  which I
abandoned.  the build went OK  but on login in I obtained a nasty flash
that /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-helper  no success or some such.   Here is
the narrative:-

----a) If I  fixed the permissions on the  dbus-daemon-helper file  that the
warning disappeared;   KDM reports no errors BUT I get a dummy for my sound
device AND usb-memory sticks show up but   opens-up as the  home directory!
I get sound only on the command line alsamixer, aplay  works  (I do not have
/etc/asound.conf)

----b) if I do not fix the permissions and keep the KDM-login warning flashing
across the screen,    all sound devices are enabled  pulse, jack etc  and I
get sound AND  usb-sticks can be opened.   (which by the way  show up only if
inserted at boot-time  -but that is another story)

----c) if I  do not fix the permissions of the dbus-daemon-helper file and I
start consolekit   manually before I start KDM the KDM-login warning
disappears and   usb-sticks can be opened  but I get a dummy sound device
(generally)

which begs the question what might be the  motiviaion for ConsoleKit?

I have stopped d-bus and hal,  scrubbed out the stain of ConsoleKit, scrubbed
Hal out      recompiled  both of them and restarted with the correct perms on
the dbus-daemon-helper  file    and  I was back to a) above.

The only one I have not redone is pulse-audio

So advice/workrounds on  being rid of