On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 01:28:57AM -0600, DJ Lucas wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 07:33 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
>

> >gtk+-2.22.1
>
> Yes, I had forgotten about the legacy icon names. Sorry, I wish I
> had mentioned that earlier to save you some research time. Patch I
> used is attached, no need for autofoo.

 Thanks.  FWIW, the seds I used from gentoo ('adapted' because the
last was for Makefile.am) re their bug 349754 were

sed -i -e '/docs\/faq\/Makefile/d' configure.in &&
sed -i -e '/docs\/tutorial\/Makefile/d' configure.in &&
sed -i -e 's/tutorial faq //' docs/Makefile.in

 i.e. drop the docs because they don't build and are unmaintained.

> >libproxy-0.3.0 - not part of gnome.  I started by trying 0.4.6,
> >but in best google fashion that needs ./autogen.sh instead of
> >configure.  Nastily, that then tries to invoke cmake, so I fed it to
> >/dev/null and reverted to an older version.  There is apparently a
> >0.3.1 version, but I see no reason to try that in my own usage.
>
> Can simply rerun cmake with appropriate options. As this is the only
> thing on my system that uses it, no biggie. I'll not be happy to see
> it used more, but I doubt I can change that trend.

 I gave up installing cmake.

> >webkit-1.2.6

> > but the following addition to configure fixes the password
> >storage and retrieval : CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} \
> >
> > -DLIBSOUP_I_HAVE_READ_BUG_594377_AND_KNOW_SOUP_PASSWORD_MANAGER_MIGHT_GO_AWAY"
> >

> Interesting. I don't see the issue as I use firefox for web browsing
> and I don't save my passwords anyway.

 How do you get by with only one graphical browser ?  ;-)

 Epiphany is less than brilliant [ start rant {
 unconfigurable, no sign if anything is happening, tends to
decompress tarballs when downloading them but keeps the .tar.gz name,
doesn't know what to use for pdfs, can't handle ftp (some of this
might be because I lack other gnome infrastructure) } end rant]

 BUT it now works well on html5tube (with the extensions) and
critically (for me) it means I've got a graphical browser while I'm
updating firefox - some months that happens all too frequently.

> I actually depend on MPlayer for almost everything media related
> now, gnome-mplayer, and then gecko media player for web content.
> Mplayer "just works" in my experience, and "just works" is much
> easier than dealing with GStreamer when some random plugin screws up
> the whole stack on me.

 I mostly use xine for video files (mainly from get_iplayer) because
the sound is better (I noticed on a classical music program), or the
browsers.  Gstreamer seems to be what lets firefox open .wmv videos.
For sound I prefer audacious.  But for the moment I still find totem
worth keeping in my stack.

ĸen