On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 01:33 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> I still remember the days when BLFS was close to the bleeding edge.
> So, FWIW, here is a list of the gnome and related packages I've just
> built to try out gnome-2.32 (without gtk+-3, since the only versions
> available are for development).  It wasn't a particularly useful
> build, I'll perhaps try out development versions with gtk+-3 when

Gnome 2.32 does not require gtk3 in any way. There are a handful of
packages that can be built against either 2 or 3, but that's just a
consequence of being in transition. Some may need --with-gtk=2.0 if 3.0
is present.

If you're looking to try development versions (i.e Gnome 3), good luck -
last time I tried (November or so), it was almost impossible, everything
changing such that getting dependencies right was a headache. I think
that's stabilised somewhat now that gtk3 is close to final and things
have mostly ported to it, but don't expect it to be easy.

> libproxy-0.3.0 - not part of gnome.  I started by trying 0.4.6,
> but in best google fashion that needs ./autogen.sh instead of
> configure.  Nastily, that then tries to invoke cmake, so I fed it to
> /dev/null and reverted to an older version.  There is apparently a
> 0.3.1 version, but I see no reason to try that in my own usage.

Oh, yeah - that package has been a major headache, 0.4.6 being the first
version I could build without backporting half a dozen bug fixes from
their repository. Seriously, that's a package with a dangerously casual
attitude to release quality...

Not sure what you mean about autogen though - 0.4.6 is a cmake-based
build, and any traces of autogen are probably left over from when they
changed it. The following steps work fine for me:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr .
make
make install

> webkit-1.2.6
>
>  I didn't try the 1.3 series this time because it is still labelled
> as a -development version (it will be needed for newer epiphany /
> yelp),

By 'newer versions', you mean the Gnome 3.x versions? Yeah, they need
1.3.x because that's the version supporting gtk3.

> gconf-editor-2.32.0
>  I'm starting to think that installing this is a waste of my time,
> it only lets me change what I've installed so e.g. there seems to be
> nothing I can edit to say to epiphany "use evince for pdf files
> instead of telling me there is no application for them, you stupid
> browser" ;-)

In my experience, not finding a suitable application for a document has
nothing to do with GConf - it's usually a sign you need to run
update-desktop-database (from desktop-file-utils) which indexes
the .desktop files installed by apps like evince.

Simon.