On 08/12/11 08:22, Ken Moffat wrote:
> 1. 'help' no longer works in applications.  I had this in the past,
> and the solution was to add gvfs.  Searching google only finds that
> recommendation.  But, I've *got* gvfs (1.10.1).  Looking at the
> build log for an older version on my previous system, GConf support
> has been entirely removed [ I guess this used to be the important
> part with gnome2/GConf2 ] and FTP/HTTP/WebDAV support is now
> enabled.
>
>  Curiously, if I open yelp directly, I can get to all of the
> installed application help, but 'Help -> Contents' gives me
>  Could not display help: Operation not supported

I tried this out myself and I get the same message. This is with a full
Gnome 3 install.
I'll let you know if I find anything.

> 2. 'totem' now uses clutter libraries, and if started from a
> terminal it lets you know it (dies immediately):
>
> (totem:8077): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data:
> assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
>
> (totem:8077): Clutter-CRITICAL **: clutter_stage_set_color:
> assertion `CLUTTER_IS_STAGE (stage)' failed
> Segmentation fault

I get the same message when I'm in fallback mode (using nv drivers)
Using nvidia drivers and the error no longer occurs.
So I suspect it is related to not having gnome-shell running. Not that
it should not work without it.
I did read somewhere about using the latest clutter-gst might fix this.

>  So, anyone got totem-3 working ?

Yes and no. Under LFS 6.8 it worked fine. Under LFS 7.0, I'm having
problems. The following error comes up when launching Totem.
shm_open() failed: Permission denied
It looks like /run/shm is the culprit. It's permissions are 755. Should
it not be 1777?
When is /run/shm created and by what?

Wayne.