On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 01:23:06PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> >  So, I've now given up on totem.  Vlc is working on all my
> > on-disk/network files, so I'm resigned to building qt4 in future
> > (without the skin, which needs qt4, vlc is very similar to ffplay).
>
> I plan on updating Qt4 in the next few days.  I've used it a lot in the
> last few years and can do the update relatively easily.  The current
> update is 4.7.1 -> 4.7.4, but I note that they have had a 4.8.0-rc1
> since mid-October.
>
> It does take a lot of time and space to build though.
>
>    -- Bruce
 4.7.4 took 27.1 SBU (3877 sec on this box), so quite a bit quicker
than webkit-gtk.  989 MiB total, 94 MiB installed.  But then, I've
only installed it for this one use, so I'm able to slim it down
quite a bit :

yes | ./configure -opensource -release -no-accessibility \
 -no-qt3support -no-libmng -no-nis -no-pch -no-openvg \
 -no-phonon -no-webkit -no-javascript-jit \
 -prefix /usr \
 -nomake examples -nomake demos -nomake docs

 Many of those options probably don't belong in the book.  From
previous experience, precompiled headers don't save time if you
aren't compiling qt apps every day and intend to blow away the
system in a year or two.

 I must admit I don't know what '-no-webkit' actually removes -
is webkit itself now part of qt ?

 The '-opensource' switch, however, ought to be in the book.  What
made me throw in the towel for kde4 (apart from the abhorrent cmake
and the unuseful desktop indexing that burned all my cpu cycles when
running) was the need to respond o for opensource, then yes to accept
the licence.  Found another way round that with a here document, but
only having to pass 'yes' is so much simpler.

 '-nomake docs' is also worth considering, for people who are only
building qt4 to build e.g. kde4 rather than to use as a progamming
tool.

ĸen