On 03/31/2012 02:07 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:

>>> You need to set up /etc/dhclient.conf.  Do not request a host-name.
>>>
>> OK, that sounds like a reasonable idea, but that is where I started.  I
>> have the file from the BLFS page: "DHCP-4.2.3-P2 Client Configuration"
>> installed and need to modify it.  I thought that all I needed to do was
>> remove: "host-name" and "domain-name" from the: "request" list.  The
>> problem is that this does not fix the issue.

> I can't get to this in a while.  Would you please create a ticket in
> BLFS fo rthis problem.

I had the time to run this down today.

The problem is occurring in the: "sbin/dhclient-script" script which has
a conditional expression to reset the hostname.  Part of it is:

      [ x$current_hostname = xlocalhost ] || \

which results in the hostname being reset if it is the default: "localhost".

A good question is why am I using that hostname.  IIRC, there was a bug
in WINE that was worked around by using that.

Is there a reason not to use: "localhost"? -- security?

Thanks for the help.  I have had health problems and I don't seem to be
as sharp on these things as I usually am.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch