On 04/28/2012 04:49 PM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> On 28-04-2012 07:18, Armin K. wrote:

>>> My thinking is that some session-related environment variable might not
>>> be set, if running apps like that under a different desktop. Maybe
>>> nothing to do with install paths as some are suggesting - just that
>>> evince can't communicate with dconf for some reason like that.
>>>
>>> Simon.
>>>

>> dconf needs to be present and session needs to be launched with
>> dbus-launch. I could start gconf and dconf in an X only session, but
>> launched with dbus-launch! Also, if everything else fails, install dconf
>> into /usr. It uses gio module which reside in /usr/lib/gio by default.
> Thanks, Simon and Armin!!
>
> Problem solved:
>
> $ evince&  echo $?
> [1] 14992
> 0
>
> What I did:
>
> cd /usr/lib/gio/modules
> ln -sv /opt/gnome/lib/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so
> ln -sv /opt/gnome/lib/gio/modules/libgsettingsgconfbackend.la
> ln -sv /opt/gnome/lib/gio/modules/libgsettingsgconfbackend.so
>
> Haven't tested if just libdconfsettings.so would do.
>
> No dbus launched session, tested and problem remained.
>
> I believe it could be done like this:
>
> mv -vi  /opt/gnome/lib/gio/modules/*.{so,la} /usr/lib/gio/modules,
> rm -vrf /opt/gnome/lib/gio/modules
> ln -sv /usr/lib/gio/modules /opt/gnome/lib/gio/modules
>
> But did not have the courage for it.
>
> Have tried before installing dconf in /usr, and worked too, of course, but
> reverted to /opt/gnome and used the solution described above.
>
> Thanks very much again!!

Hm, this is the glib's fault. There is no way to add or change gio
modules path at runtime. It is, however, possible to do that at build
time of glib. I see 3 packages install gio modules - glib-networking,
dconf and gvfs. If we switch to GNOME_PREFIX again, we will need to
install those into /usr, or symlink them.