John Burrell wrote:

> My latest build is LFS-SVN-20120623. When I loaded x-7.7-1 on top I
> found that the latest nvidia proprietary driver, 295.59, locked up
> the GPU. May be the optimizations are incompatible with the latest
> xorg-server - who knows?

I'm not sure which card you have.  On my x86_64, I use the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.36-pkg2 driver [Quadro PCI-E Series] and on
my 686 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.35-pkg1  [GeForce 9800 GTX].  Both run
fine for me.

You do have to be careful when building the kernel not to include nvidia
drivers.  I have:

CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=m (not used)
# CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA is not set

> I thought I'd try the nouveau driver in the BLFS book so I compiled
> the drm nouveau modules into the kernel. When I booted the laptop,
> the screen went blank and then cycled through red, green, blue and
> white - continuously. I could only do Alt+sysRQ+b to reboot it.
> Everything else was dead. As a last resort I went to
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallDRM and did an
> out-of-the-tree build of the modules to see if the latest versions
> were any different. I got the same result.
>
> I read that the graphics card can do this if it does not receive any
> signal. Other than that, I have no idea why this happens.

I was able to get both the nouveau and nv drivers to work, but they were
unacceptably slow.

You might want to post the critical parts of Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf.
For instance:

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "Card0"
     Driver      "nv"