John Burrell wrote:

> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G84 [GeForce 8700M GT]
> (rev a1)
>>
> Armin suggests I make some upgrades.  Guess I should go ahead and try that.

Yes, you can, but I found both nv and nouveau unsatisfactory on my
GeForce 9800 GTX because both were extremely slow.  I used the
proprietary driver and it's quite satisfactory to me.

My very rough benchmark is glx gears. I had about 250 FPS on the open
source drivers vs about 8700 FPS on the proprietary one.

   -- Bruce