On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:49:57AM +0200, Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
> On Saturday 07 July 2012 23:27:22 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > cmake is not really that bad and it has some nice capabilities.  The
> > feature it is really missing is the equivalent of ./configure --help.
>
> Well, there is the "cmake -LH" which is roughly equivalent to "./configure --
> help".
>
> -Ragnar-
 For some obscure value of "roughly".  You got my hopes up enough to
try this.  But it just runs cmake.  Sure, it tells me what it is
looking for, and what it did and didn't find, and some various
environmental defines which are no doubt interesting, but it
*doesn't* tell me about options and defaults.

 In any autoconfiscated package, configure --help will tell me what
options are supposed to be the defaults, and what flags I can pass
to alter the build.  OK, for some packages that output has only a
limited correspondence with what actually happens, but it's a start
and gives words to search for if the build isn't as-desired.

 To clarify my original post on this thread - what I really dislike
is the inability to force shared or static libraries.  The static
lib(s) was|were what finally caused me to stop trying to build kde4.

ĸen