I'm currently pressing an old LFS/BLFS build into service as a print
server, so I thought that it would be a good idea to update all
the relevant packages associated with printing.

The rebuilding went fairly smoothly until I came to cups-filters which
errored out on long long.  I investigated the Makefile and noticed that
this was set to -pedantic rather than just a warning.  I removed -pedantic
and it built OK, and the print server appears to work just fine.

Can anybody throw any light on why this would be set to -pedantic, and why
cups-filters appears to be building without problems for others?

Richard