On 30.09.2012 12:47, Armin K. wrote:
> And alas, sane users will install Xorg in /usr, otherwise it is a waste
> of time ...

Oh, a deja-vu. :-) Just like the GNOME_PREFIX discussion. Support for
GNOME_PREFIX other than /usr was dropped from the book. Then XORG_PREFIX
other than /usr should also be dropped from the book.

Personally, I tried to stick with prefixes in order to attempt to
compensate (just a little bit) for the lack of version-control. I'm
using paco for that, but since the book is now on a rolling release,
sometimes it's really hard to keep track of package versions that work
together. Just like today, I only wanted to get a small issue fixed, and
I ended up rebuilding GNOME because the book had evolved. Guess I should
just stick to one snapshot of the book for now.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. The PREFIX discussion (if any) should
be taken to the dev-maillist.

Ciao,
Lars