On 10/14/2012 08:08 PM, Jeremy Henty wrote:

> I upgraded to cairo 1.12.4 and Firefox and Gimp crashed on startup.  I
> still use Xorg 7.5  - has anyone running a more  modern Xorg seen this
> problem?
>
> The crashes  were completely  consistent - after  running Firefox/Gimp
> with the  --sync option  I found that  stdout/stderr were  exactly the
> same  over  10 runs  for  each  application  (apart from  the  process
> identifier in the Firefox log).  Logs attached for anyone interested.
>
> Google found discussion of the cairo upgrade "exposing bugs" in the NX
> server, so  maybe Xorg  is the  real culprit here.   It would  be very
> interesting to  if anyone else has  seen this problem, and  which Xorg
> they were using.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremy Henty

I am running Cairo 1.12.4 too with Xorg 7.7 as in the book. I haven't
noticed any problems with Firefox or Gimp. Thunderbird is only process
that dumps core on shutdown and backtrace points to cairo libraries (I
suspect it might be something wrong with current expose_snapshot patch,
but Firefox and Thunderbird build nicely and Firefox doesn't have such
problems). Other than that, everything else pretty much works.