>From a newbie's perspective, of course, I think the problem with the
"work backward" approach is it's easy to miss things that the newbie
doesn't know (s)he also needs, e.g. log handling, firewall.  I think, in
most cases, the newbie first needs a "general purpose" end-user system
that's manageable.  Most of the popular distros hide just what that is
composed of.  It's not surprizing that they get to BLFS without a clear
idea of what to pick and choose.  I came to LFS from a "publisher's
version" of RHL-6.1 "Cartman" back in 2003/4, when what one got was
simpler and more exposed.  (I found a loose LFS-4.1 CD at a Goodwill
charity "Outlet" store, i.e. the last stop before the landfill, and my
own LFS has pretty much been my "daily-driver" since.  But it was good
to have that early experience.)
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm