On Tue, 2012-12-25 at 06:28 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  But then, I'm an admitted heretic - in my scripts I build and
> install as root : DESTDIR/INSTALL_ROOT are for when I'm looking at a
> package, not when I'm installing it ;)  To be honest, I spent some
> weeks trying to use DESTDIR installs as a user while I was reworking
> my scripts, but I didn't find it worth the aggravations.

I'm currently using the DESTDIR approach because it's a little simpler -
the old LD_PRELOAD approach I was using was broken for 64-bit systems,
and rather than fix it I decided to go with something more similar to
how the distros would do it. So far I've not had any great problems,
though admittedly I'm so far only building the core LFS with this set of
scripts, not the wider variety of packages in BLFS...

Hmm... it occurs to me that while using FS monitoring (or your 'find'
based approach) is neat, it's not parallel-safe. I'm guessing you don't
install more than one package simultaneously? My current build scripts
basically consist of a generated Makefile to deal with dependencies, and
it copes quite happily with being run with half a dozen processes...

Simon.